Winner for the Farm Succession category
- $5,000 in credit at their local Agromart (young famers)
- $3,000 in travel credit (previous generation)
Winner for the New Farm Enterprise category
- $5,000 in credit at their local Agromart
Finalist for both categories
- $2,000 in credit at their local Agromart
In order to be eligible for the Sollio Cooperative Group’s New Farm Enterprise and Farm Succession Award the applicant must:
- Be a client of an Agromart Group retailer;
- Be less than 40 years old in the year of participation;
- For the New Farm Enterprise category, be establish for less than 10 years;
- For the Farm Succession category, hold a minimum of 5 % shares in the enterprise, with a maximum of 10 years before contest participation, or be an employee who is responsible for the management of the farm and is targeted by the business for potential transfer (must hold shares in the business).
There are three easy steps to entering the competition.
Step 1: Application file
Applicants must thoroughly complete the application file found on the following pages.
All information will be taken into consideration in the jury's evaluation. It is important to complete each section in as much detail as possible. It is recommended that the application be proofread by someone from the cooperative supporting the nomination.
The farm succession team must be proposed by a retailer and provide a signed letter of recommendation from the retailer’s president or general manager. The letter must include the reasons why the enterprise should win the competition, and the quality of the reasons provided will be taken into account in the assessment by the judging panel.
The judging panel will review the written documents submitted by the candidates. Note that the three members of the judging panel will sign a confidentiality agreement before reviewing candidates’ files.
Stage 2: Semi-Finalists
A panel of judges will confidentially review all entries and select semi-finalists. The semi-finalists will then undergo a technical and economic analysis and will be required to have the jury visit their farm to participate in an interview.
Step 3: Winners
The winners will be visited by a reporter and a videographer for the production of a short video. They will be featured in an advertorial published in Ontario Farmer Magazine and will be invited to attend the awards ceremony at the Annual general meeting of Sollio Cooperative Group, one of the largest agricultural organizations in North America.
During the year, finalists may be asked to participate in filming or promotional elements for the contest.