1. What are the objectives of the Sollio Next Generation Award?
- To showcase families and businesses that have successfully transferred or established their farm business;
- To highlight the profession of agricultural production and the human aspect of this great process;
- To inspire the next generations with various models of farm business transfer and establishment.
2. How long last the Sollio Next Generation Award?
The registration period runs from the annual general meeting of Sollio Cooperative Group (end of February) to the end of May. If you are selected as a semi-finalist, you will need to set aside time for a half-day interview and a visit to the farm by the jury. And a half-day visit to the farm by the jury. And if you are selected as a finalist, you will need to set aside a day to shoot the video on the farm as well as participation in the annual general meeting for the awards ceremony. In addition, it is possible that you will be solicited for other promotional shoots during the year.
3. Who funds the Sollio Next Generation Award?
This is a competition funded entirely by Sollio Cooperative Group.
4. What are the monetary prizes that a finalist or winner can obtain?
Winner for the Farm Succession category
- $ 6 000 in credit at BMR or Sollio Agriculture affiliated farm input retailer (young famers)
- $ 3 000 in travel credit (previous generation)
Winner for the New Farm Enterprise category
- $ 6 000 in credit at BMR or Sollio Agriculture affiliated farm input retailer Finalist for both categories
Finalists for both categories
- $2,500 in credit at BMR or Sollio Agriculture affiliated farm input retailer
5. Aside from the monetary prizes, what else is offered to the finalists?
- Video on the enterprise;
- Article in the Coopérateur in the form of a laminate;
- A selection of photos taken by a professional photographer during the shooting of the video;
- Invitation to the annual general meeting of Sollio Cooperative Group;
- Trophy awarded to the finalists;
- Promotion of the enterprise on Sollio Cooperative Group's social networks throughout the year.
6. What is the difference between the two categories of the contest?
- Category Farm Succession: transfer of a farm business from one generation to another (related or not)
- Category New Farm Enterprise: starting a farm business
7. Are the two categories evaluated in the same way?
Both categories are evaluated in the same way. Applicants are compared to each other in each category. In addition, some questions are different in the application form to accommodate the specific situation of each category.
8. Who is the jury composed of?
- Normand Lapointe, Administrator of the Board of Directors of Sollio Cooperative Group;
- Marilyn Côté, Administrator of Nutrinor cooperative;
- Jean-Philippe Côté, Ex administrator of the Board of Directors of Sollio Cooperative Group.
9. What are the main evaluation criteria?
- Quality of planning of the succession or establishment;
- Relationship between the different generations or between the different shareholders;
- Sustainability of the business;
- Use of advisory services;
- Business performance;
- Sustainable development;
- Form completed assiduously.
10. How do I register?
To register, go to the Sollio Cooperative Group website, on the Young Farmers page, then on the tab the Sollio Next Generation Award. You must create a user account (in the applicant's name) in order to open the application file on the portal. Assistance in completing the application can be obtained from your local co-op or consultant.
11. What supporting documents do I need to provide?
You will be asked to provide reports from the business management tools developed by Sollio Agriculture (Lactascan, Aviscan, AgConnexion, etc.) depending on your production. In addition, when you are a finalist, you will have to provide your financial statements and shareholder agreement, if applicable.
12. Can a candidate apply for several years in a row if they are not selected the first time?
Yes, absolutely! His or her business will probably have evolved, and he or she will benefit from this for a future application.